Mines Thermodynamic Database
Welcome to the MINES 2016 v.1 thermodynamic dataset! This project is an initiative to generate a revised internally consistent thermodynamic dataset for minerals, aqueous species and gases for simulating geochemical processes at hydrothermal conditions in the upper crust (≤5 kbar and ≤600 °C) with focus on ore forming processes. This open access dataset is maintained with the aid of the program GEM-Selektor. To install the database follow the instructions below. In addition, several modeling project files (Modules) have been prepared to get you started with GEMS. To run these, please follow the instructions in the GEMS Tutorials section.
- MINES 16 (NEW v.1 now online!)
- MINES 15 (v.1, previous version)
- Documentation and installation guide
- Screenshots installation
Current and future MINES database features
The philosophy of the MINES database follows a rolling release approach, meaning that new versions will become available once updated with the following features:
- Major rock forming mineral properties from Holland and Powell (1998)
- Selected mineral properties from the Robie and Hemingway (1995) USGS database.
- Revised SUPCRT92 data for aqueous species
- Experimental data for REE-, Sn-, Al-, and Zr-bearing minerals/aqueous species and metals for studying hydrothermal ore deposits.
- Mineral multisite and multicomponent solid solution activity models (e.g., feldspars, chlorite, epidote, phyllosilicates).
- Gases equations of state for H2O, CO2 , O2 , H2 , CO, CH4 , HF, HCl, H2S, SO2 .
GEMSFITS will be used in future versions for the compilation of thermodynamic properties and experimental data in the open JSON format. The latter provides a flexible way to organize and import experimental data and the possibility to export and adopt the MINES database in other commonly used free numerical modeling programs.
Gysi, A.P., Williams-Jones, A.E. (2013) Hydrothermal mobilization of pegmatite-hosted Zr and REE at Strange Lake, Canada: A reaction path model. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 122, 324-352.
Assistant Professor, Lithogeochemistry
Department of Geology and Geological Engineering
1516 Illinois Street
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401